3.19.2013

missing my fellow human herbies

a recent Plant Healing Magazine interview featured Juilet Blankespoor. i've read so much about her, and hopefully if the universe wills it, i will have the opportunity to sit in her class this coming september at the Herbal Resurgance gathering in arizona. you can check out the entire interview here.

i mention this interview mainly because of this quote from Juliet, "Like many a plant person, I often find it easier to relate to photosynthetic organisms than humans. My kinship with plants fills me with connection and belonging." my response is, "yes, don't we all!"

spring has sprung, and i got a good sneak peak at the plants down south, as shared in my last post (a very fun filled weekend to be sure!). BUT, there still exists the longing of a different sort...to be in the company with other kindred spirits connected to the plant world. i find myself babbeling to paul about the botanical break down of this plant, or the medicinal uses of that plant, or last night i even blurted out "did you know that red wigglers are hermaphrodites??!!", when talking about the worms we're getting for the compost. and he just laughs, sometimes getting up to break my rant, because who wouldn't? unless you're a plant (and animal) nerd like me. and so, to walk about in silence listening to the whispers all around, or bantering back and forth in plant conversation are moments of past that i cherish, and long for the time when new ones will be made.

i was very spoiled with my herb community at school. so now i suppose it's time to discover, or create, another one.

2 comments:

  1. Aah I think you would love it here in Portland! There is a big nerdy planty / herbalist community of wise women who are wonderful to hang out with. Only problem is youd have to wait a little bit... its not the best time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would so love to come visit you again, and have more time to explore and play...miss you!

    ReplyDelete